I am adopting Shane Claiborne's New Year's resolutions again. I've changed them to reflect the changes I need most in my own life right now too, but I credit him for the heart behind each of these. Here's to 2013, a year to put others before myself. I tried to do these last year, but am actively going to pursue each of these during each of the twelve months of the year.
12. Do something nice that no one knows about.
Spend more money on other people than I spend on myself.
10. Love my enemies. Do good to those who hate me, bless those who curse me, pray for those who mistreat me. Actively pursue what is true, honourable, just, pure, noble, lovely, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy in my relationships with "enemies," family, and friends. Remember that we all stand under Christ's grace. Love others as I would like them to love me.
9. Get involved with an organization that is actively working to empower the most vulnerable in my community.
8. Love a few people well, remembering that what is important is not how much we do but how much love we put into doing it.
7. Write a letter to someone to whom I need to say thank you. Write another letter to someone I need to ask to forgive me.
6. Track down someone I disagree with and take them for coffee or have them for a meal. Listen to them.
5. Compliment someone I have a hard time complimenting, and mean it.
4. Learn a new life skill with a friend - pottery, canning vegetables, etc.
3. Pause before every potential crisis and ask “will this matter in 5 years?”
Get outside often and marvel at things like fireflies, snowflakes, shooting
stars and seeing my breath in the cold.
1. Believe in miracles. And live in a way that might necessitate one.